Above the Cairns – an In-person Workshop – April 21st, 10am-5pm
This is an in-person course consisting of a one-hour ‘Get Ready!’ session to discuss colours and what you need to prep, followed a month later by the workshop at the HC LAB in Clerkenwell, London, EC1. Sewing machines supplied.
Price: £180 per class
- Package – When booking onto all four classes, use discount code #pss4days for 10% off at checkout
Sunday, April 21st, 10am-5pm
In this class we’ll sew small and large ovals and circles using my no-pin curves technique. This time we’ll be using the Complete and 14” Drunkard’s Path set in combination with the Long Oval set to create blocks with multiple curves in different sizes and shapes, a great way to get a hang of sewing curves.
I will show you how to pick colours that enhance the perception of depth. This is to create a ‘fold’ in the curves and the background. I will show you how to do the ‘flat’ background too if that is the look you prefer.
The pattern, Above the Cairns, includes the instructions on how to make the 54″ x 54″ quilt. The small quilt can be multiplied by four to make a bed quilt or, if you’d prefer a smaller project, make just one quarter into a cushion or a wall quilt.
The paper version of the templates used in class is included but, if you decide only the Acrylic templates will suffice, you’ll receive a 10% class discount* code upon booking the class. The Acrylic templates are highly recommended for ease and accuracy, especially if you are a stickler for precision.
He quilt in the top right hand corner is by Kelli Fox @kellifox_handmade
PDF Paper templates for you to print
PDF Above the Cairns pattern
The video recording of the ‘Get ready!’ session
Suitable for beginners to intermediate sewists. A basic quilting knowledge (how to use a rotary cutter and ruler and to sew using an accurate seam allowance e.t.c.) is assumed but no previous curved-piecing skills are needed.
- Quality fine sewing thread (40 or 50 wt) in neutral, grey, or to match your project
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Thread snippers or fabric scissors
- Long gridded ruler
- Fabric scissors or thread snips
- Pins (just a few)
- Seam ripper
- Access to a printer (for the paper templates) OR my Acrylic template (see info for Templates in your welcome email)
- Freezer paper (a 15” Square is enough)
- Glue stick (useful but not a must)
- Hera marker (useful but not a must)
- 18 mm rotary cutter (useful but not a must)
- Add-a-Quarter ruler (useful but not a must) for those who want to use the FPP for the ‘folds’
*10% Discount on the Long Oval, Complete and (Complete or Basic) 14” Drunkard’s Path Sets used in class plus the Oval and Multiple Drunkard’s Path Sets.
2 in stock